Thursday, April 30, 2009




THE LANGUAGE OF HERBS


Here are some common herbs and their symbolic meanings, which were found in The Language of Flowers, a charming book originally published in 1968. Keep these meanings in mind when creating your heartfelt arrangements for Mom.

BALM sympathy
BASIL love, blessings, best wishes
BAY glory
CALENDULA joy, remembrance
CATNIP intoxification with love
CHAMOMILE comfort
CILANTRO hidden worth
COWSLIP happiness
DAISY innocence, loyalty
DILL good spirits
ELDER zealousness
FENNEL worthy of praise
GERANIUM comfort, consolation
IVY friendship, matrimony
LAVENDER devotion, loyalty
MARIGOLD grief, honesty
MINT wisdom, grief
NASTURTIUM optimism
OREGANO happiness
PANSY merriment, remembrance
PEPPERMINT cordiality
ROSEMARY remembrance
SAGE wisdom
SORREL affection
SPEARMINT warmth of sentiment
THYME happiness, courage

17 comments:

Susan Blake said...

What a neat list! I never knew this - thanks for sharing! Hmmm, so I need to suggest to my kids to give me a huge basket of fennel then.

Amelia said...

this is interesting! thanks for sharing...

I so love the scent of lavender, peppermint and chamomile...

Lagean Ellis said...

suZen,
I thought it was really neat. I've seen the list of flowers a million times, but never the herbs.

Amelia,
You are very welcome!

Unknown said...

What a neat list I never new that herbs have such meanings. HAPPY VGNO

Anonymous said...

I second what Liz said. have a great VGNO

Unknown said...

Happy VGNO

Opus #6 said...

Those flowers are so pretty. My favorite colors. Happy VGNO.

Elizabeth D. said...

Thank you for posting this, this was very interesting! I never knew that lavender indicated loyalty, it's one of my favorites. :) Happy VGNO!

Ali said...

Thank you for sharing this, I always like to know the meanings behind things. I think the catnip one is very fitting, cats sure do get intoxicated with love! Happy VGNO (oooh, maybe we could give some of that to Jason Aldean?? lol)

Anonymous said...

I like this! I hope you have a wonderful VGNO!!

Anonymous said...

As I recall, the paintings from one of the Kings of France used the language of flowers as well. A whole wealth of meaning was interwoven in royal and (not so royal) portraits.

Happy VGNO!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

What a lovely visit here tonight!!
Have a wonderful weekend, and enjoy the party:)

Anonymous said...

Very interesting...now know why so many people name their kids after herbs. So many have cool meanings.

Anonymous said...

OH...and Happy VGNO!

Stacy Uncorked said...

Great list! Happy VGNO! :)

GinSpaghetti said...

Ooh I love this! I feel like I need to go to the garden shop now! :)

Anonymous said...

I love what you guys are usually up too. This type of clever work and reporting!
Keep up the wonderful works guys I've included you guys to my own blogroll.

Also visit my site :: cedar finance option trading